just enough
Ohmygosh! I have so, so much to talk about. I'm not sure where to start, so I guess I'll just begin with the first thing that pops into my head.
As most everybody knows, I was in a car accident last Monday night. Scariest thing ever. I was driving home from work, singing along with my 60's tunes, when out of nowhere this car smashed into me. I seriously never saw it coming and consequently never had a chance to go for the brakes. So there I was, gasping for breath in a little tree grove in someone's front yard. I had no idea what had just happened to me. All I could think about was Why can't I breath? I started to look around me in my car and noticed that my vents were all sticking out, and my door was bent in toward me, and my windshield was smashed. Slowly I put 2 + 2 together and figured out that I was in a car accident. I don't know how it happened, it just did. When all the paramedics, etc. got there, they determined that the Jaws of Life were necessary to get me out of my car. So, alas, poor Gunther's roof had to be cut off, and I was pulled out from the top. From then on, there are a lot of details not worth writing about. I would just like to say that it is purely God's grace that let me come out of this in decent condition. For whatever reason, God chose to spare me by allowing only a sore back and a fractured heelbone. I am sooooo thankful for God's goodness, and although this has been one of, if not the biggest trial/test I have dealt with, at least I know that I can, in fact, deal with it. God never tries us any harder than what He knows we can handle. I never in my life thought that I could handle a car accident, broken bone, being in the hospital, having blood drawn, and getting an IV......all in one fell swoop. But, good thing for me I have God on my side, because it is only the fact that God gives me strength to handle every individual moment that I have not fallen to pieces. Because believe me, if He didn't, I would definitely fall to pieces. And you know...I made it to church on Sunday, and Mr. Sparkman picked Day by Day as one of the songs. I was really thinking about the words as I sang, and I just started to cry. God is so good to me. I would just like to post the words to that song in case you don't know it, and also for my own sad, emotional sake.
Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
Every day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Power.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.
Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.
Along with all this, I am leaving for college in one week -- crutches, cast, and all. To be completely honest, I'm scared. Not only will I have to be on my own in a strange place where I know nobody and get used to a whole new life, but I will have to do it handicapped. I am just praying to the Lord that the pain stage of this whole ordeal will be over by this time next week, though I don't know if that prayer request is a little ridiculous. All I know is that God has been enormously gracious to me these past 18 and a half years, and that God never changes. With that knowledge, I am willing to face the unknown with a trusting heart, even if it is on crutches. For whatever reason, God has graced me with enough emotional and mental strength to make it through as many trials as He has given me thus far, and I am trusting in His goodness and immutability that He will continue to do so.
I had a lot more to say, but now, after considering God's character and being, they all seem extremely trivial to me, and so I will restrain from writing them. Besides, I'm sure whoever is reading this has gotten an eye-full already. I just cannot impress enough how kind and gracious God has been to me when I have done nothing to make me worthy of deserving even God's slightest glance down at me. I love my God and I know that He is working out my heart and soul to make me into whatever it is He wants me to be, and He will use my trials, shortcomings and mistakes to prepare me for whatever it is He wants me to do.
As most everybody knows, I was in a car accident last Monday night. Scariest thing ever. I was driving home from work, singing along with my 60's tunes, when out of nowhere this car smashed into me. I seriously never saw it coming and consequently never had a chance to go for the brakes. So there I was, gasping for breath in a little tree grove in someone's front yard. I had no idea what had just happened to me. All I could think about was Why can't I breath? I started to look around me in my car and noticed that my vents were all sticking out, and my door was bent in toward me, and my windshield was smashed. Slowly I put 2 + 2 together and figured out that I was in a car accident. I don't know how it happened, it just did. When all the paramedics, etc. got there, they determined that the Jaws of Life were necessary to get me out of my car. So, alas, poor Gunther's roof had to be cut off, and I was pulled out from the top. From then on, there are a lot of details not worth writing about. I would just like to say that it is purely God's grace that let me come out of this in decent condition. For whatever reason, God chose to spare me by allowing only a sore back and a fractured heelbone. I am sooooo thankful for God's goodness, and although this has been one of, if not the biggest trial/test I have dealt with, at least I know that I can, in fact, deal with it. God never tries us any harder than what He knows we can handle. I never in my life thought that I could handle a car accident, broken bone, being in the hospital, having blood drawn, and getting an IV......all in one fell swoop. But, good thing for me I have God on my side, because it is only the fact that God gives me strength to handle every individual moment that I have not fallen to pieces. Because believe me, if He didn't, I would definitely fall to pieces. And you know...I made it to church on Sunday, and Mr. Sparkman picked Day by Day as one of the songs. I was really thinking about the words as I sang, and I just started to cry. God is so good to me. I would just like to post the words to that song in case you don't know it, and also for my own sad, emotional sake.
Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
Every day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Power.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.
Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.
Along with all this, I am leaving for college in one week -- crutches, cast, and all. To be completely honest, I'm scared. Not only will I have to be on my own in a strange place where I know nobody and get used to a whole new life, but I will have to do it handicapped. I am just praying to the Lord that the pain stage of this whole ordeal will be over by this time next week, though I don't know if that prayer request is a little ridiculous. All I know is that God has been enormously gracious to me these past 18 and a half years, and that God never changes. With that knowledge, I am willing to face the unknown with a trusting heart, even if it is on crutches. For whatever reason, God has graced me with enough emotional and mental strength to make it through as many trials as He has given me thus far, and I am trusting in His goodness and immutability that He will continue to do so.
I had a lot more to say, but now, after considering God's character and being, they all seem extremely trivial to me, and so I will restrain from writing them. Besides, I'm sure whoever is reading this has gotten an eye-full already. I just cannot impress enough how kind and gracious God has been to me when I have done nothing to make me worthy of deserving even God's slightest glance down at me. I love my God and I know that He is working out my heart and soul to make me into whatever it is He wants me to be, and He will use my trials, shortcomings and mistakes to prepare me for whatever it is He wants me to do.

4 Comments:
Too often it seems we need our footing to be shaken by God; if only to cause us to trust in it less, and in Him more. I'm glad to see you rejoicing.
Wow... I'm so glad you're basically okay (alive!)... And that is a beautiful song. I take it this means you're going to school in WV...?
Yes I am. Any and all visitors are welcome. =)
Thank goodness your ok SJ, I was shocked at the news when I got home from camp. God is good, theres a reason for everything. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home